Hello to all. I have been researching coova and wifidog for a while now and I am wondering if someone could please clarify somethings for me.
Here are my impressions of how I could/would set up a coova hotspot service.
1. You would need a server running CoovaChilli with either freeradius or JRadius.
2. You would need a or a couple of routers (WRT54GL for example) with CoovaAP.
3. You can configure the router to communicate with the CoovaChilli server. The router and the server do not have to be physically connected by a network cable. They both have to be connect to the internet though.
4. All of the session management and authentication would be done by CoovaChilli.
5. The user would/could see a captive portal asking for either them to register or for them to login.
6. After they have registered they would be allowed onto the internet though the internet connection the router has.
7. The user management would all be done though the CoovaChilli.
Side question: Is it possible to track where the user is visiting? IE. If the user goes to google.com there is a record kept of that. Is there an ability for URL filtering/IP filtering. Can I keep track of where my users are going and how often etc.
My question is ... is the above assumptions correct. Also where does CoovaAAA come into play? Is CoovaAAA like CoovaChilli for people that don't want to run there own CoovaChilli server?
Thanks so much. I hope that all made sense.
Another less important question but I think a fun one is ... Is it possible to use mess protocols and software with CoovaAP? Basically can I create a massive mess network with CoovaAP? :-0
I know that was a lot ... Thanks so much for your help!